Kidnap Victim Collapses After Identifying Alleged Gang Leader As Police Smash Deadly Edo Kidnap Syndicate
What began as months of fear, sleepless nights, ransom negotiations, and anguish for families in Edo Central took an emotional turn when a rescued kidnap victim reportedly screamed and collapsed after coming face-to-face with the man police believe led the criminal gang responsible for terrorising communities across the region.
The dramatic moment occurred during an identification parade following a major breakthrough by operatives of the Edo State Police Command’s Violent Crime Response Unit (VCRU), a special tactical initiative introduced under the leadership of the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, as part of efforts to strengthen intelligence-led operations against violent crimes nationwide.
The coordinated operation, supervised by the Commissioner of Police, CP Monday Agbonika, and led by the Commander of the VCRU, CSP Godspower Osagie, resulted in the rescue of kidnapped victims, the arrest of seven suspects, and the dismantling of a notorious kidnapping network operating across Emu, Irrua, and surrounding communities in Edo Central.
Among those arrested was Yusuf Hassan, also known as “Dogo Yellow,” identified by investigators as the alleged kingpin of the syndicate. Others arrested include Adamu Mohammadu, alias “Smally,” said to have been recruited from the Okene axis of Kogi State as a mercenary operative, alongside Gado Alhaji, a commercial motorcyclist accused of supplying food, drinks, and drugs to the kidnappers.
Police also arrested Jerry Okoyomon, popularly known as “Jerro,” described as a notorious drug baron allegedly linked to the gang, as well as Salisu Abubakar, Illiasu Suleiman, and Illiasu Yahaya.

According to the Force Public Relations Officer, Anthony Okon Placid, the arrests followed extensive intelligence gathering and tactical operations launched after repeated cases of kidnapping and ransom extortion threw several Edo communities into fear.
One of the earliest victims linked to the syndicate was 29-year-old Gloria Iyanobor, who was abducted on January 12, 2026, while working on her farm in Emu.
Police said she spent four traumatic days in captivity after being seized by armed kidnappers before eventually regaining freedom following the payment of ₦3.3 million ransom.
Months later, during the police identification parade, the emotional weight of the experience reportedly overwhelmed her.
“Mrs. Gloria Iyanobor screamed and slumped immediately she sighted Yusuf Hassan, alias Dogo Yellow,” police sources revealed. “She was revived and later positively identified him and other members of the gang responsible for her abduction.”
Investigators say the same syndicate was also allegedly responsible for the abduction and suspected killing of 24-year-old Hope Ogbebu, who was kidnapped from his farm in April after gunmen reportedly demanded ₦16 million ransom from his family.
In what police described as a heartbreaking twist, the alleged kingpin later contacted the family and reportedly informed them that the victim had been killed because the ransom demand was not fully met.
Barely days later, the gang allegedly struck again, abducting Mrs. Ezighode Ebosele and her 14-year-old son, Wisdom, from their residence in the Udoni axis of Irrua while demanding ₦100 million ransom.
Following growing fear and tension across affected communities, CP Agbonika reportedly directed the VCRU Commander, CSP Godspower Osagie to immediately launch a coordinated rescue operation.
Using technical intelligence, reconnaissance missions, tactical surveillance, and aerial support, operatives successfully rescued the victims unharmed. They were later stabilised at Amazing Grace Hospital in Uromi.
Recovered exhibits included large quantities of cannabis sativa, suspected hard drugs, and other materials believed to have been used by the syndicate.
The Police say efforts are ongoing to arrest fleeing members of the gang and recover the remains of the slain victim.
The operation has drawn commendation from residents and security observers who described it as a major breakthrough in the fight against kidnapping and organised crime in Edo State.
Police authorities reiterated that operations against violent criminal networks will continue until communities across the country are safe, secure, and free from fear.